Friday, March 27, 2015

Choco-Nana-Nutty-Maca Shake! (my favourite pre-workout drink)




You've got a couple of hours, hey maybe you've only got half an hour before your workout. You're planning your workout outfit and psyching yourself up to kick some serious booty; But stop! You need some plant power in your life! Sometimes before a workout, or even just in the morning, I need some serious energy boosting. Welcome this shake.

Maca is not only a seriously powerful punch of energy, it is also choca-poc full of vitamins B, C and E.  It relieves women's hormonal annoyances (menstrual and menopausal issues) and balances your mood. It's also great for your skin and it tastes pretty good too! Cacao is also energy packed and full of antioxidants. If you don't have cacao powder, I firstly advise you to get some in your life - it's such a different taste but I much prefer it. It's more wholesome and rich AND much healthier than bog standard cocoa powder buuuut, it has a hefty price tag. Healthy Supplies is my favourite place to bulk buy, but if you can't get your hands on cacao I would recommend some pure 100% cocoa powder.
Bananas are also fab for your energy but also are a great source of carbs for that pre workout PUMP IT UP feeling. And the nut butter is full of heart healthy fats that are great for your skin, hair and metabolism AND they keep you going for a long time. Let's rock!


INGREDIENTS:
Serves 1

  • 1 banana, frozen
  • 1tbsp cacao powder
  • 1tsp maca (or lucama!) powder - opt, but recommended ;)
  • 1 heaping tsp of peanut/almond/hazelnut/cashew/pecan/whatever nut you like butter - my favourite's are peanut for that chocolate peanut butter cup flavour, or almond for that creamy taste
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • opt, 1 medjool date
  • As much water and ice as you please
Blend away! I like to add water as I go - if I'm feeling like a more sip and go smoothie I'll add lots of water and if I want a thicker more icecreamy smoothie I'll add less. Play around with the liquid - you could even add as little as 1/4 cup of almond milk and make a smoothie bowl!



I really hope you enjoy this recipe, tell me if you try it!

Beanie
xoxo

Instagram: eshbean
Facebook: beaniebakes

No comments:

Post a Comment